The end of summer and the start of Autumn is such a splendid time here in Herefordshire. It’s really is a beautiful place to be and I do love the chance to pick the fruits of Autumn that have swollen with the last rays of sunshine. We are very lucky that in our back garden we have damson and apple trees. I’ve plenty of recipes in mind this year including a damson vodka. But to kick off my seasonal baking I’ve started with a apple and Damson crumble.
Perfect with a blob of dairy vanilla ice cream after a great Sunday Lunch.
I really cant wait to get out there and pick the fruit this year. The apple tree is already laden with fruit and I’m hoping the damson does well too.
Cooking with Kids?
This is a great recipe to make with children. Get them to help with the weighing and measuring. Kids love to help making the crumble and popping the stones out of the damsons. Just ensure caution is taken when placing in and taking out of the oven.
Is the apple and damson crumble Vegan?
This recipe is suitable for people following a gluten free diet and vegetarians. The recipe could be adapted for a vegan diet, by substituting the butter for vegan margarine.
Do I need any specialist equipment?
No specialist equipment needed for this recipe. I however use a cherry stoner and a apple slicer tool to speed up the process, when Im really in a hurry to eat this crumble!
Don’t forget to Pin it for later!
- 400g of Damsons
- 3 eating apples
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 25g flaked almonds
- 75g gluten free flour
- 50g unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 180c, gas mark 4.
- Remove the stones from the damsons. I've found the best way to do this is with a drinking straw pushed though the damson.
- Core and chop the apple.
- Spread the damsons and apple in the base of a oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle with the caster sugar.
- In a food processor, blitz the flour, butter and soft brown sugar until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the flaked almonds.
- Sprinkle the crumble mix over the fruit and bake in the oven for 25 mins. Until golden and bubbling.9 Remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Serve with a blob of dairy ice cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 25mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g
Liked my apple and damson crumble?